Even though many people are thinking with the new Google Algorythym changes such as Caffenine, Panda, etc. People are thinking that its no longer important to do SEO for their websites and they are dead wrong. SEO in our eyes will never die, becacuse there are still ways you can make your website more friendlier to search engines and to come up in organic searches. Now as the technical part of building a wesbite has some roles to play as far as site load speeds, and frame breaks. You can be working on proper link building, creating good content and managing your key words.
I have said it numerous times that content is king, and in Google's eyes that is the truth, but do not forget about the other search engines that can also bring you in a lot of traffic such as Bing and Yahoo. So here are a few do's and dont's to do on your website in order to help your SEO campaigns.
DO NOT DO FOR SEO
1. Key Word Spam- Do not load key words to your site that are not mentioned in your site, and dont reflect what your overall site is about. Google is very good on this front, why your site might position good at first, you will eventually be moved down, and possibly have your site removed from their inedex which is sometimes almost impossible to get out of.
2. Buying Links- Google has been able to change their systems to recognize links that are organically created or links that are paid for. Its most important that any back links to your site are organic and relevant to your website in order for it to do any good. Having too many links that go to unrevleant sites or paid for compared to organic and relative will end up costing you alot of lost traffic.
3. Article Spinning- Just this past August Google made yet another change to start going after copyright infringments or material that seems to be duplicate. I know that Article Spinning services use to have its time with SEO, but now its not a good tool to use if you want to keep your site healthy going into 2013.
DO's FOR SEO
1. Quality Back Links- Make sure your getting quality back links to your site from relevant sites. Example: Your site is about home improvements so when you want to build good reputable back links you definately do not want to link to a site that offers cell phones because it has nothing to do with Home Improvements.
2. Social - All Search engines are now measuring Social interactions with websites. Putting a share tool on your blog posts and website for Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin will help you rank higher in searches when people share and like your content.
3. Unique Quality Content- This is the main thing that I will keep beating into peoples heads. When you create and write blog posts or articles keep your readers in mind. Search Engines want to create a user friendly web, and writing for search engines does not fit the bill any more. You want to keep your target audience in mind when creating new content.
Following these do's and don'ts will help you get your site optimized and if you are a technical person and really want to go all out I strongly suggest setting up a Google Webmaster account and take advantage of their SEO Tools and information about your site.