The Truth Behind Going Mobile For SEO
They have you scrambling right now believing that if your site is not mobile friendly or you do not have a mobile SEO site, your going to loose your search rankings. Well that's only half true. We hope that by reading this article you will be more knowledgeable about Googles future algorithm that will change search rankings for mobile sites. Yes mobile sites. Your desktop site is not going to be penalized for not having a mobile site, on desktop searches. Its just going to be buried on mobile searches done on a tablet or smart phone device. SEO benefit is there if you do create a mobile site, but do it right and don't rush.
Depending on what mobile platform you use, its should be what your comfortable doing. If you don't have that much technical experience you would want to use a website builder that will dynamically build your mobile version. Google does not care what kind of mobile platform you use. There are some major things you can do to make sure you have a good SEO designed mobile site. You want to make sure you can be found in mobile search and just by having a mobile site wont mean you will show up or rank the way you want too for your key words. SEO still comes into play with mobile.
Use your smart phone as a seo tool
We prefer using a responsive web design for our mobile sites. This is where you build the desktop site as to how you like it, and it publishes a mobile friendly version with it. Now one thing to remember for mobile devices is that most people don't like to click on links. Many studies have been done proving that people looking at your content on your mobile site wants to press on buttons. So when you place a call to action, placing buttons for these are going to give you a better click through rate on your mobile site. Before we get to more tips to make sure your SEO for your mobile site is up to par, you need to have your smart phone or tablet with you at your side and look at how your mobile site is being built. If it does not look good on your phone or mobile device, its not going to look good on others and will be a bad search experience.
To have good Mobile SEO you need to focus on these following items:
1. Header H1 Tags - These are just as important on your mobile site as it is on your desktop site. You want to make sure you use your keywords from your keyword research and make sure you use it in your H1 Tag.
2. Description- Make sure you use your key words or keyword phrase in the first 55 characters of your website description.
3. Redirects- Mobile needs to be fast, and this is part of Googles search algorithm involving mobile is how fast a site loads. So using a redirect URL for your mobile site could cause speed issues. Its never a good thing to have that many redirects on your site. Avoid this if you can.
4. Crawl Errors- You never want to have that many crawl errors, because its telling Google that your site is broken if you have numerous ones of these. Use Google Webmaster Tools to check on your site and where it says devices click on Smart Phones. More sites are looking terrible on Smart phones and this is going to be where Google starts with the new change. Fix your crawl errors that populate on webmaster tools. There are also a lot of great mobile SEO tips there as well.
5. Content- Make sure you have easy to read content on your mobile version of your site. Some phones are smaller then others, why some are as big as tablets. You want to be sure that your readers, customers can see your print.
Content Is Still King For SEO Mobile Or Desktop
No matter how much SEO changes from now and into the years to come, content is always going to be king when it comes to SEO. Whether your doing SEO for mobile, or desktop if you do not have great, new, fresh content that readers want to read, your not going to be getting much organic traffic to your site. Remember that you don't have to worry about your desktop site rankings if you do not have a mobile version. This will give you time to put one together right, and find the right platform that you will be comfortable in using. Mobile SEO does not have to be a head ache, so don't allow it to be one.